Total Pageviews

Saturday, January 8, 2011

Sales 101

Sales 101: What do you learn in a sales/marketing class on the first day within the first minutes? Differentiate yourself from the competition IMMEDIATLY!

Can you guess how I try to do that? (Anyone who knows me probably knows already. In fact it was the topic of conversation a number of times this week with old and new clients.)

Ever wondered why I introduce myself as, Shawn Michael Walker? Because no one else uses their full name! People think it is funny (more like ridiculous), and therefore almost everyone remembers it.

Common reactions to the full name intro:
1. "What was that?"
2. "OK? I am, _______________" (insert new acquaintances full name here.) (My favorite response!)
3. "So is it Shawn or Shawn Michael or Shawn Michael Walker?" (My client just repeated my name three times; without knowing it they are putting it to memory.)
4. The classic repeat in question format. "Shawn Michael Walker?"
5. The reintroduction to others, “everyone, this is Shawn Michael Walker!” (Now they get to deliver the punch line, they get to be the silly one)
6. "That sounds like a country singer."
7. "Why do you do that?"
8. "Were you named after anyone?"
9. And another favorite (but I have only gotten it in Texas, twice): "Are you a serial killer? You know only serial killers go by their full name?"

Side note: I have a 40 year-old single friend who asked me what he can do to change his approach with the opposite sex. I offered my advice, "instead of introducing yourself as every other "John" they have ever met, introduce yourself as "John J. Stephens." Two things will happen: they will ask if the "J" is an initial or if it is "Jay," and secondly, the conversation will last longer than a few seconds."

He used it, reported outstanding success with it, and when he introduced me to his new, more-permanent significant-other he said, "Michelle Jane Jones, this is Shawn Michael Walker." She told me the different introduction started a conversation that lasted them all night long and that introduction is still a key piece of their relationship.

In every situation, business or personal, what differentiates you in your introduction? What makes you stand out? What makes your business recognizably different than that of others?

No comments:

Post a Comment